Visits to Member States concerning the registration of persons sailing on board passenger ships operating to or from Member States’ ports
The cycle of visits to the Member States in respect of Directive 98/41/EC of 18 June 1998 on the registration of persons sailing on board passenger ships operating to or from ports of the Member States of the Community, as amended, was initiated in 2012. Twelve visits were conducted up to July 2015, providing input to the EU Passenger Safety Legislation Fitness Check (REFIT) being carried out by the Commission. There are currently no further visits planned.
The purpose of the Directive is set out in Article 1:
To enhance the safety and possibilities of rescue of passengers and crew on board passenger ships operating to or from ports in Member States of the Community and to ensure that search and rescue and the aftermath of any accident which may occur can be dealt with more effectively.
The visits examine in particular the following:
1. The way in which the Directive has been transposed and implemented in operational terms.
2. The provisions of the Member State for ensuring that Provisions for determining the maximum number of persons allowed on board a passenger ship.
3. Approval mechanism for the systems for registering the number of persons on board passenger ships.
4. The controls used to ensure the accuracy of the registration of the number of passengers on board and the reporting to the shipping company.
5. The availability of the passenger information to the appointed designated authorities of the national administration.
6. Exemptions of passenger ships from registering passenger information.
7. The provisions for passengers with special needs or requiring assistance in emergency situations to notify this information to the passenger ship.
8. The ability to register and provide the required service to passengers with special needs or assistance in emergency situations.
9. The system of penalties for breaching the national provisions for the registration of persons on board passenger ships.
- Seafarer Statistics in the EU - Statistical review (2018 data STCW-IS)
- Seafarer Statistics in the EU - Statistical review (2017 data STCW-IS)
- Seafarer Statistics in the EU - Statistical review (2016 data STCW-IS)
- Seafarer Statistics in the EU - Statistical review (2015 data STCW-IS)
- Seafarer Statistics in the EU - Statistical review (2014 data STCW-IS)
- Methodology for visits to Member States
- Full list of EMSA visits & inspections